
I swear those littlest things would make me go smiling the whole day.I wonder why helium balloons are not for sale these days. Whatcha think?
The last time I saw a helium balloon was when I watched Miss You Like Crazy. Darn, bakit sa movies na lang meron nun? When I asked my friend about it, she just said, nakakalason na kasi, bawal na sa mga bata. All I can say was, okay but why oh why.
My last encounter with balloons was when I was preparing for Kayle's 20th birthday surprise. I found a balloon store (if I may call it) along Dapitan and decided to give him a bunch of it since he likes kiddie birthday party. Regression nga naman.
I asked the balloonologist (haha. if there is such a profession! okay, let's call her a balloon artist) how much a bunch of it would cost and all other inquiries I made. She even showed pictures of the balloons twisted into everything--animals, flowers, and the like. I, myself, could not contain the little excitement for my surprise for him. It's like I'm also gonna get that balloons on his birthday! :)
So okay, I asked the balloon artist to do a balloon arrangement for me to be picked up by me after a few days. I instructed her to put a Spiderman balloon in the middle, surrounded by rainbow-colored balloons. I even asked her if I can get a bunch of helium balloons--in different colors. You know, "the balloons attached to a string?", I even said. But the artist just said no, they aren't available anymore for some reasons I intended to forget during that moment.
It made me sad for that moment. I recalled my childhood. Every Sunday, my mom together with my younger sister, Celine, would go to church to hear the mass. And after the mass, there was our suki balloon vendor. He would patiently wait for the hourly mass to end just so he can attract those kids like me with his balloons--with different colors attached into strings.
His hand would turn red for enduring the whole bunch of balloons he held. My sister and I would choose a color then our mom would just buy it for us. Of course, we were so happy then. And then so the vendor. You could see him smile everytime a kid would like to avail one from his goods.
I kinda pitied on the kid next to us who wants to have ONE balloon but his mom would not allow him to. His mother just said, sayang lang pera ko diyan! Ano pa gagawin mo diyan, eh lilipad din yan! Ibili mo na lang ng pagkain. The kid wanted to cry, I know. He was really sad. He looked at the balloon I'm holding. I can say, he's envious. But as a child, all we know is being selfish.
We ate at a fastfood, holding on to our balloons. We went home, we were still holding the balloons. After taking an afternoon nap, we play with our balloons. I used to tie my yellow balloon in the bike I never learned to ride in. But while doing it, wind blew so hard that it took my balloon away! Imagine to my surprise, I even tried to catch it but it flew so fast. All I know was, I'm crying as I watch it like it was dancing in the sky. I was crying because I thought the balloon is just simply happy being free from my hands. I know, it was a ridiculous thought, but as a child, a toy is everything that makes you happy.
I even remember intentionally telling my mom to buy me a helium balloon. For other purpose this time. As we got home, I got a piece of paper amd I hurriedly jot down my wish, tied it to the string of my balloon. First step I got outside the house's door, I let it flew. This time, my playmate told me that God would read my wish and eventually grant my wish. I could not even remember what I wished but I know, it was granted. :)
So press forward to the present, I told the balloon artist that I'll drop by again after few days to get my order. To tell you what, I think I was more excited than the celebrant himself!
So came his birthday. The whole restaurant was reserved just for the celebrant and I for three hours straight. Choco mousse cake with 20 small candles, cream puffs, eclairs, big card, toys wrapped in colors and a bunch of balloons were patiently waiting for him around the table corner.
I was really giddy and nervous that time, I tell you. My bestfriend, who was the birthday celebrant was just calm and smiling. To release my tension, I ordered our favorite white pizza and fettucine with soda. While waiting for our food I ordered, I told him to wear the blindfold. And he was being KJ that time, so I punched his face so that he will lose his consciousness... no no no. I'm just kidding! I insisted him to wear it, of course! :))
While he was wearing the blindfold, I guided him to walk across the table next to us. I let him sit on the couch and I was really trembling lighting up the 20 candles in his cake. I can't even manage to say OUCH whenever my fingers' skin got near the candles' flame. I'm way too excited for his birthday. And wait, I'm still wearing this smile stretched until to my ears. :)
So the moment came, I told him to remove his blindfold and... silence broke in. I sang to him HAPPY BIRTHDAY and told him to make a wish and blow all the candles after. He obliged. The whole place was so quiet that only my voice was heard. I'm happy and all the people in the place were happy, too. I guess because being happy is like a virus--it's infectious. The waitress who took my order, the security guard, the kitchen staff-- were all smiling. What even made me happier was when I saw him smiling at me while his finger was pointing to the bunch of balloons sitting beside him. All he can say was,"Oh Spidey."
The gifts and birthday cards were on his lap. The place was still so silent. I broke it when I asked, "Did you like it?". All I got was a simple nod with his eyes in awe.
"So this is the mini-kiddie party you ever wanted. I'm sorry I got it so simplified. I even planned to get clowns but too bad, I'm afraid of them. Sorry, the place isn't for kiddie party but I had no other place to get this off. I'm sorry if I instructed you to wear blue today because....", I didn't finish what I'm saying.
"Sheessh. Don't you dare making me cry again?" He was in tears while holding the balloons.
"Then what did you wish for while blowing all the candles?", I asked.
"I wish I'm always going to be happy. I wish you to be happy always. I wish, two of us should always be happy. No matter what happens. That's my only wish."
I hugged him back and answered, "Don't worry, we will always be."
I even saw the waitress looking at us. I can say she's like watching a telenobela, so melodramatic. Haha! So I told him,"You're a crybaby! Wipe your tears or else, anybody else here would think I made you cry!" and we laughed ourselves off.
After eating, two of our friends called him up to greet him. That's the only time again that I saw him so cheerful. He even read my big card for him with my loooongest message inside (oh yeah, font size 10, written with 7 colors of pen in every line). BF birthday card. Then unwrapped the gifts and found a robot and mini bicycle for tricks inside. Opened the box with his fave food: cream puffs and eclairs! And who could ever forget the balloons, he just said, "So here comes Spiderman!" and even imagined and imitated Spiderman by letting out a web from his wrist (okay okay, he's being a kid now).
We went out of the restaurant holding hands and both holding balloons. We were both wearing blue that time. I, wearing a blue dress topped with a vest and him, wearing a blue polo shirt... both holding on to the things that make us happy. We went home like kids, I guess.
So that's it. The title says it all. Grandest things aren't needed for us to be happy. We always find life complicated but we always tend to forget to simplify it. It's in mundane things that we find happiness-- if we live life simply. :)
Happy Sunday, guys! :)
3 comments:
happiness is indeed a virus. I was almost in tears as i read this, tears of happiness of course ^_^ I hope you'll always be happy, both of you, both of us <3
Thanks meowr~ LOL. Goodluck pala sa ating dalawa. :P
Is he your boyfriend now?
Post a Comment